Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Power of Cotton Candy

Ryan and I took our little 3 year old niece, Makelle, to Target. We told her we would buy her ONE item of her choice since she was being so good as we purposely steered her to the dollar section of the store.

"Oooh!" she exclaimed, eyeballing the Princess lunchbox and plate set.

She was especially excited about the glow in the dark bracelets, sparkly sunglasses, and froofy hair ties.

But what she was most excited about was a delectable bag of cotton candy.



She clung onto it as we went around the whole store. Occasionally she would find something else she wanted ,and we would have to remind her, "You can only get one thing. Do you want cotton candy or < insert pink, sparkly item here >;." A few times I thought she might abandon the colorful bag, but she would think about her choice long and hard, ultimately choosing the irresistible treat.

It surprised me a couple times. I thought for sure she would go for the Cinderella figurine or lip gloss she was drooling over.

But it was the cotton candy that won that little girl's heart.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. A couple times I would turn around and see Ryan, one of her favorite uncles, shaking his head emphatically at anything pink in a resolute no. If there is one thing in common between the two of them, it would be their sweet tooth.

In the end, I left the parking lot with a happy 3 year old, a happy husband, and a bag of half eaten cotton candy.

(And twenty sticky fingers.)

2 comments:

Virginia said...

It's a good thing that they ate some before they got home. It's Jason's favorite too!

Nina S said...

nice way of preventinig tantrums and teaching her to choose valuable things (valuable to her that is). will keep in mind. I remember loving cotton candy when I was young too.