Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fat Mouse in a Little Garage

I was doing a graveyard at work one night, and at 4 in the morning, I received this email:

We have a mouse in the garage

10 minutes later, this little gem also appeared in my inbox:

Me and kitty are going to go mouse hunting in the garage.

Wooowie. A mouse? Really? What is a furry little rodent doing in my garage? When I arrived home, the mouse was still hiding and yet to be caught.  Ryan described it for me. "It was about the size of my fist! And it's really fast!" That's when I switched my mindset. Instead of picturing 

Jerry (from Tom and Jerry)



I started picturing

Mousezilla


This thing has got to die! At first, we tried to send Lily out there to eat it, but when she was little we trained her to be afraid of the garage so she wouldn't escape. When she set one foot out there, she sniffed the air and immediately scratched at the door to get back in. No good. So Ryan bought two different kinds of mouse traps. I felt a little bad about killing the poor thing....but not really. Ryan bravely set up the traps and filled them with peanut butter and waited. And waited...aaand waited. A week later (after we finally gave up and decided the mouse escaped), we noticed something peculiar. The mouse trap was still set, but the peanut butter was gone!

"I don't understand," Ryan would say scratching his head. "Where did it go?"

We tried again...with the same result. Disappearing peanut butter. What would be able to eat the peanut butter, without tripping the trap? We considered the possibilty of bugs...but we'd never seen any signs of them.

The third time we tried cheese. Third times a charm, right? Wrong! Within 24 hours, the cheese was gone and there was no sign of Mousezilla. Ryan was not a happy camper.

"This has got to be either the luckiet or smartest mouse in the world! SUPER MOUSE!"





Okay, so I know what you are thinking. Our mouse has had 3 different identities and is now having a complete identity crisis, but at least it is well-fed and has evaded death 3 times.

We will be sure to keep you updated on our future mousecapades. And hopefully the next time I update, it will have evacuated the premises.

3 comments:

Randi said...

Try leaving your garage door up just a tad. We had a mouse in our garage a few years ago and had a similar experience. None of the traps caught it, but after leaving our door up a little for a few days (we were home, of course) the mouse high-tailed (pun intended) it outta there! Mousecapades are never fun! Good luck!!

Virginia said...

That mouse knows when he has it good! A warm place to sleep and all the peanut butter and cheese he can eat!

Angie Peterson said...

Maybe if you stop feeding it the mouse will get fed up and leave.