Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The True Easter Egg Hunt

Easter has come and gone, but our candy remains. Taunting me actually. It's quite hard to cook a nutritious meal when you have candy to eat instead. (Especially since Ryan bought a chocolate bunny about the size of my head.)

Easter weekend was fun! I worked a lot, but got to spend some time with both mine and Ryan's family. And it was conference weekend!

Well, I learned an important Easter lesson this year. I have been eyeballing the Easter candy for a good month. I kept telling myself that I shouldn't buy any Easter candy yet because I knew it would be gone before Easter, especially the Cadbury Mini Eggs. Yum! My favorite. I ran into them at multiple stores (Smiths, Walmart, Buy Low, etc) and I had to use self control not to buy it just yet.

Well, the day before Easter came and Ryan and I buckled up to go buy our cherished Easter candy. We even braved the nasty snowstorm that made it hard to see the lines on the road. We decided to go to Smiths. Have you ever seen the Easter aisle the day before Easter? Well, we hadn't either before then. It wasn't pretty. Empty boxes thrown every which way. Crazed Easter shoppers trying to get the last good candy. We found ourselves trying to make the decision between Smoothie flavored jolly ranchers and chocolate malt peeps. There wasn't much left. I even heard one guy say, "I give up on the cadbury eggs!"

No! Not my little yummy mini eggs! I looked everywhere. Even little crevices that people could've hidden some. None. I wasn't discouraged though. It wasn't until after we went to Macey's, Walgreen's, Walmart, Shopko, and Buy Low, that we finally gave up. I tried not to think about my Cadburys. Poor Ryan didn't even know what I was talking about. "What's the difference between Cadbury eggs and regular chocolate eggs?" The poor boy.

I was pretty sad. All those previous opportunities turned down and now this! I should've just bought them weeks ago. In my sadness, I googled Cadbury mini eggs and read countless sites where sad shoppers could not locate their Easter yumminess.

That was when I learned a valuable Easter lesson. Do not procrastinate the day you buy your Easter candy. Or you will be stuck with the Chocolate Malt flavored peeps.

The next day, we went over to Ryan's Aunt Debbie's house for Easter lunch. And lo and behold, in a small bowl, sat some Cadbury Mini Eggs. I think I teared up a little.



4 comments:

Virginia said...

I thought you liked the big Cadbury eggs best! Now I know what to get you for Easter (and your birthday!)from now on.

Michelle and Cisco said...

I was one of those sad shoppers that also couldn't find those joyous Cadbury mini eggs. Don't worry, Cisco didn't know what i was talking about either. They are truly delicious. And yes, Easter candy is extremely good at taunting us. I grab a snack to take to work and instead of some crackers or real food, i fill a bag of Easter goodies.

Angie Peterson said...

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever tried them. I'll have to make a point of it next year.

Lisa said...

We looked everywhere, too! I just had to settle for some other chocolate. I also didn't end up eating as much chocolate as I usually do.