Sunday, October 11, 2015

Carter Michael Stephens

So I found a doctor that would take me. He is an OB/GYN at the hospital next to our house. His office is actually on the same floor as Labor and Delivery, so the first time I went there (with Jackson), I could hear a lady screaming in pain. It got me super pumped....

The first appointment with the new doc, I was 36 weeks pregnant. I was hoping he would agree to induce me early, since Jackson was 10 days early and almost 10 pounds. He was really nice and we went ahead and scheduled the induction for a week before the baby's due date.

My mom flew out two weeks later, and helped me a ton. I was big, but not nearly as uncomfortable as I was with Jackson at this point. I didn't really start feeling miserable until I was 38.5 weeks along. It was hot though. Summer in Utah...sometimes it would be over 100 degrees outside, and if I went out for even a little bit, it would completely wipe me out.

We did an ultrasound to see how big the baby was. The doctor predicted he would be around 7-8 lbs, so A LOT smaller than Jacks. *Phew* The doctor said I could still go ahead and get induced.

A couple days before the induction date, the doctor checked me, and I was only dilated to a centimeter and 70% effaced. He encouraged me to push back my induction date a couple days to make sure my body was ready for labor. I agreed. I really wasn't that uncomfortable, and I do like my sleep.

So, when I was 39.5 weeks pregnant, I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I got the thumbs up to have the baby the next day.

On July 3rd, 4 days early, I was induced.

I always heard that the second baby is usually easier to have, and this was true in my case. I would have to say the hardest part was the IV. The nurses had trouble sticking my vein. It took 3 nurses and 5 pokes for them to finally get it. I was super grumpy afterwards, not to mention nauseous. The first nurse was giving me a play by play. "I got the needle in. I'm fishing for a vein. Your vein keeps rolling! Sorry, I have to move the needle around in your hand..." I get queasy because of that and made Ryan get me a cold, wet paper towel to put on my head. They finally got it in. After the nurses left, Ryan checked out the nourishment room and was super excited about all the free coke he could have. I was still grumpy and did not appreciate his energy. Haha, poor Ryan.

Then the anesthesiologist came in and it took 3 pokes to get the epidural in. That one was my fault. I kept accidentally squirming away. I finally had to sit up and lean forward in Indian style, and that was much better.

Initially, I wasn't sure if the epidural was working because I could still move around pretty easily, and had feeling my legs (I later found out I was wrong. I couldn't feel a single contraction. Just the way I like it). My doctor had the day off that day because it was the day before 4th of July. He had no appointments, but he was in his office working on paperwork.

He came in, broke my water, and said he would be waiting for the phone call.

I tried to relax and rest. An hour or so passed, and I was still feeling queasy, so the nurse gave me zofran to help my nausea--it worked wonders. I told Ryan we should probably rest while we could. I turned on my side and tried to fall asleep. 20 minutes later, the nurse came scurrying in. She told us that based on the baby's heart rate, it looked like I was getting close to pushing. What?! They checked me not too long ago and I was on a 4. I thought it was going to take a lot longer.

She checked me, and sure enough, I was at a 9. I was stunned. What about my nap? She got everything ready for baby to come, and checked again, and I was a 10. Game time. The doctor came, and 20 minutes later, baby was here. (It took 3 1/2 hours of pushing for Jackson to come out, so this was way better). I had to get an episiotomy again. Bummer. But I can't complain because from start to finish, it only took four hours for baby to come out. Not too shabby. I kinda picture that since Jackson was so big last time, he made room in the birth canal for all his future siblings. All Carter had to do was slide down the birth canal. Jackson's birth was pretty traumatizing for me, so this was 100 times better.




Carter tried so hard to open his eyes and look around when he was placed on my chest.


He was such a chill baby, not to mention he had a ton of hair! We couldn't decide between the name Carter and Bryce in the hospital, so he was unnamed for a couple of days. He was also bigger than we originally thought. 8 lb 10 oz. I was amazed. I thought he was going to be in the 7 lb club for sure.


The post-partum yuckies were bad. Worse than labor. My uterus contracting was so painful. The next day was the 4th of July, and we had a really good view of the fireworks. My mom even made the comment that we should come back every year and watch it from this hospital since the view was so good, haha.



We came home 2 days after Carter was born, and it was history from there.




Introducing Carter Michael Stephens


Born Friday, July 3, 2015 at 12:01 pm
8 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long

No comments: