Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I am...the Crazy Scientist

My new project as of late is to make this.

Being newlyweds, what greater time is there to experiment on new recipes than now, when we still have googly eyes and see fireworks every time we say hi to each other. I mean, Ryan will love me no matter what I cook him (even after the chile con queso dip recipe!) So my new goal is to finish my lovely cookbook after I have tested enough amazing recipes to fill the dang thing up!

In the meanwhile, poor Ryan has to deal with me saying, "What the heck is a stock pot?" and "I thought I put more toothpicks in this chicken than this..."

Oh boy.

So, what has been on the menu as of late?

Tasty Chicken Cordon Bleu
...With a few stray toothpicks


Delicious Ham and Potato Soup



And most recently,
Homemade Vanilla Crepes!
...with a sprinkle of our friend, cinnamon sugar.
 
And when things don't turn out right, there is always pizza rolls in the freezer.

So go ahead and call me the Crazy Scientist.
And wish me luck on my cooking experiments! (I'll need it!)
Bon appetit!






(If any of you have great recipes you want to share, send them  my way!)


Ham and Potato Soup

Ingredients:

• 7 cups peeled and diced potatoes
• 2/3 cup diced celery
• 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
• 6 1/2 cups water
• 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
• 10 tablespoons butter
• 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups milk

Directions:
 
1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.


2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

On step three, I took about a cup of the soup and blended it up in a blender. I then mixed it back in the soup for more flavor and a thicker consistency.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Virginia (Mom) said...

Everything looks yummy! The pictures are amazing, especially the ones of the crepes!