Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My New Friend Fred

Yesterday I noticed a lump directly under my chin. It is a pretty big lump--about the size of a quarter.

Today it started hurting when I move my neck and talk...basically when I do anything at all. Luckily I work with lots of trained doctors and nurses, and a doc told me it is nothing to worry about, just an inflamed lymph node that is caused by an infection/bacteria in my mouth/nose area. Weird! I have not had any problems except for mild congestion.

He did say that if it got bigger, I might need to get it removed. Gross.

Times like this I am grateful I work in an ER!

So I wait. In the meantime, I will name my lump Fred and hope he goes away soon.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

I'm glad it's nothing too serious! I hope "Fred" doesn't hang around too long!

Lisa said...

Doesn't sound much like a friend to me. More like a stalker... Hope it goes away!

Angie Peterson said...

Glad it's not a tooth in need of a root canal and a salivary stone like my lump turned out to be! Sorry it hurts so much. Have you tried applying a heating pad or warm, wet rag? That might help with the pain. Good luck!